Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bassmaster Classic 2010


This just seems like such an insignificant topic right now, but I just had to mention that Tommy and I spent the weekend in Birmingham, AL at the Bassmaster Classic. Attendance has become an annual tradition when the Classic is close enough to home that we can drive to and fro over a weekend.

The weather was phenomenal, but I hear it was pretty awesome at home too. We both just love Birmingham and we had a great time. Two of our friends (Ben & Betty Hamilton) went this year too. It was the first Classic for them, but I think they might go again! Betty took the picture you see (she's a great photographer). That's Tommy and I with a friend who fished in the Classic this year. His name is Mark Menendez and he's a professional angler from Kentucky - and a wonderful person to boot.

I was rooting for my fav angler, Michael Iaconelli, but he didn't win. Snif, snif. He had a very honorable finish though - 4th place. I was also cheering big for the only female angler in the field, Pam Martin-Wells, and she really blew many of the guys away with a nice top 20 finish. Pam is a super nice lady and super talented competitive angler. She bragged about how supportive her husband is of her fishing job, and I pretended that was me for a minute - - up on that stage thanking my husband for sitting around at the ramp all day, doing the laundry and grocery shopping, restocking my tackle and cleaning my boat... while I fish tournaments for a living... but I will digress now, since he'd probably never, ever do that for me!

I was very fortunate to fish the ESPN Women's Bassmaster tournament on Lake Guntersville (that's in Alabama) a few years ago (that's where I first met Pam). I remember the incredible feeling of fishing in a huge tournament with only women. That's just something you will RARELY see, anywhere. It was beyond a WOW moment that I will never forget.

Our first local tournament this year is in March (less than 2 weeks after I return from Haiti). I am looking forward to it so much. I have fishing withdrawal over the winter since I am not a winter angler. I just hope the weather is above freezing in March! This is KY so you never know about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment